With a total value of over $300 billion, the video gaming industry is expanding globally while also evolving in a variety of ways. New trends are emerging due to increased internet accessibility, technological improvements, and the influence of the COVID-19 pandemic.
A growing number of players are turning away from single-player PC or console games and embracing social and multiplayer games, as well as mobile games, which are gaining tremendous popularity globally. Let’s look at the most recent gaming stats from across the world!
- The number of gamers in the world is estimated to be around 3.2 billion.
- The global gaming market’s direct revenue is expected to be worth more than USD 203 billion by the end of 2022.
- The worldwide average is 8.45 hours of gaming per week, according to a 2021 survey.
- In April 2022, Fortnite extended its lead over Minecraft as the most popular video game on desktop and laptop computers.
- When it comes to women in gaming, stats show that they make up 48% of gamers in the United States in 2022.
- Activision Blizzard is the largest gaming corporation in the world as of May 2022, with a market capitalization of approximately USD 61.41 billion.
- The PlayStation 2 sold 158 million units worldwide as of February 2022, making it the best-selling gaming console of all time.
- Smartphone games are estimated to make up 45% of the worldwide video game industry revenue in 2022.
- In 2021, Asia had over 1.29 billion mobile gaming users, accounting for more than 48% of mobile gamers worldwide.
- By the end of 2022, esports will produce roughly USD 1.38 billion in revenue globally.
Video Gaming Demographics and General Stats
Since their beginnings nearly 50 years ago, video games have come a long way, as evidenced by your favourite childhood video games from two or three decades ago. As the following facts and statistics show, the gaming industry underwent a series of transformations before becoming what it is now.
1. The global gaming market’s direct revenue is expected to surpass USD 203 billion by the end of 2022.
The Asia-Pacific region is expected to account for 47% of the worldwide games market in 2022, exceeding North America, which is expected to account for 27%.
2. The number of gamers in the world is estimated to be around 3.2 billion.
In addition, 83.6% of internet users worldwide played video games on any type of device, according to a survey conducted in the third quarter of 2021. This illustrates the magnitude of the video gaming industry and how gaming has succeeded in pervading our daily lives.
3. Women make up 48% of gamers in the United States in 2022.
(Entertainment Software Association)
Currently, there are over 215.5 million active video game players of all ages and genders in the United States, with the average gamer age being 33.
4. Total video game sales in the United States in April 2022 were USD 4.34 billion.
Total video game sales in the United States exceeded USD 7.55 billion in December 2021. Generally, the busiest months for the gaming industry worldwide are November and December, as video game software and hardware are among the most popular holiday presents.
5. The worldwide average is 8.45 hours of gaming per week, according to a 2021 survey.
Chinese gamers spend the most time playing games each week, averaging approximately 12.39 hours, according to a poll conducted in January 2021. Vietnamese gamers ranked second, averaging 10.16 hours of gaming per week, followed by Indian gamers, who averaged 8.61 hours per week.
6. Overall, 61% of Canadians under the age of 65 play video games.
The average gamer age in Canada is 34 years. Moreover, according to a 2020 poll of Canadian gaming audiences, 50% of Canadian gamers were female, and 50% identified as male.
7. In 2021, 76% of gamers said that online gaming had become a significant component of their gaming experience.
84% of people playing video games also stated that it’s important to find other online players with the same interests, emphasizing the growing significance of social interaction in the gaming world.
8. According to a 2022 study, 27% of respondents who are game developers are actively developing games for the Oculus Quest VR headset.
Virtual reality and augmented reality gaming are now an integral part of the video game world. The industry is rapidly expanding, with the global VR market expected to grow from less than $5 billion in 2021 to more than $12 billion by 2024.
PC Gaming Statistics
Despite increased competition from mobile gaming platforms and the console market, PC gaming remains one of the most loved and popular types of video gaming; there’s no doubt about that.
9. The PC hardware sector alone is expected to be worth $70 billion by 2023, which indicates that many people are still investing in PC hardware builds for gaming.
Steam is one of the most profitable digital game content platforms in the world, with roughly 120 million monthly active players in 2020. This represents a significant increase from 95 million monthly active users in 2019, according to Steam gaming stats.
10. Globally, there were about 1.75 billion PC gamers in 2020, which is a considerable increase from 1.5 billion in 2019.
Despite decreasing revenue growth, PC gaming continues to remain relevant. Popular digital stores such as Epic Games, Good Old Games, and Steam allow gamers worldwide to enjoy all kinds of PC games, whether old-school or new.
11. In April 2022, Fortnite extended its lead over Minecraft as the most popular video game on desktop and laptop computers.
According to the number of monthly active users worldwide, Fortnite and Minecraft are followed by Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, League of Legends, and Roblox’s Valorant.
12. Activision Blizzard is the largest gaming corporation in the world as of May 2022, with a market capitalization of approximately USD 61.41 billion.
Nintendo ranked second with a market capitalization of USD 52.15 billion, followed by Electronic Arts (USD 36.13 billion) and Roblox Corporation (USD 18.95 billion). In January 2022, Microsoft acquired Blizzard in one of the largest video game industry purchases in history.
13. As of May 2022, slightly more than 3.2% of all Steam users reported owning a VR headset.
In addition, almost 48% of Steam users who own a virtual reality headset said they own Meta’s Oculus Quest 2. Even though the Oculus Quest and Oculus Quest 2 are stand-alone gadgets, one of their advantages is that they can be linked to PC and laptop devices in a few steps.
14. With over 70 million units sold around the world, PUBG is the best-selling PC game.
With more than 70 million units sold across all platforms as of July 2020, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is considered the top-selling PC game of all time.
Console Gaming Statistics
While the console gaming sector is expanding, with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo leading the way, it appears that current-gen consoles are unable to “dethrone” previous models and titles from the top rankings, as the PlayStation 2 remains the best-selling console of all time.
15. By the end of 2022, console games will have generated USD 58.6 billion, representing an increase of 8.4% year on year.
This console video game industry growth will mostly be fueled by the release of popular first-party titles, such as God of War Ragnarok and Pokemon Legends Arceus. Additionally, certain well-liked third-party titles, including Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Elden Ring will contribute to this growth.
16. The PlayStation 2 had sold 158 million units worldwide as of February 2022, making it the best-selling gaming console of all time.
Just for the sake of comparison, the latest PlayStation 5 console has sold over 18.45 million units globally.
17. With slightly more than 82 million units distributed globally, Wii Sports is the best-selling console game of all time.
Super Mario Bros. is the second best-selling console game, released in 1985 for the Nintendo Entertainment System, making it one of the most popular video games ever.
18. The installed base of PS4 (all versions) was 111 million at the end of the second quarter of 2020, Nintendo Switch (all versions) was 57 million, and Xbox One (all versions) was 51 million.
The PlayStation brand continues to resonate stronger than Xbox in most markets. This is unlikely to change drastically during the next cycle, despite Microsoft’s strong positioning. The PlayStation 5 will have sold more than 67 million units by the end of 2024, while the Xbox Series X and S will have sold more than 44 million copies, according to Xbox and Playstation gaming stats.
19. In 2022, the most downloaded PlayStation VR game from the PS Store in the United States, Canada, and the European Union was Beat Saber.
The game Job Simulator was ranked second in both shops, behind Beat Saber.
Mobile Gaming Statistics
With smartphone accessibility rising globally, the mobile gaming market is exploding, alongside augmented reality apps. Nintendo’s increased support for mobile gaming and mobile versions of famous online games are essential for the industry’s growth, which will only continue in the upcoming years.
While global revenue topped $21 billion in the first quarter of 2022, it was down 6% compared to its peak in 2021.
21. Smartphone games are estimated to make up 45% of the worldwide video game industry revenue in 2022.
With a 29% market share, console gaming is the second-largest sector. In terms of worldwide income, China will generate over $47 billion in mobile gaming revenue in 2022.
22. The United States continues to be the leading market for mobile game spending, having surpassed Japan in 2019 and exceeding $6 billion in revenue in the first quarter of 2021.
Global mobile game downloads increased by double digits between 2019 and 2020, and are now stable at around 14 billion.
23. In 2021, Asia had over 1.29 billion mobile gaming users, accounting for more than 48% of mobile gamers worldwide.
Europe came in second, with approximately 551.7 million mobile game users, followed by Latin America with over 309 million mobile gamers. Additionally, the number of users in the mobile games market is likely to exceed 2.3 billion by 2026, according to predictions.
If current trends continue, Brazil might overtake the United States as the second-largest gaming market by downloads in 2022. Moreover, India continues to be the largest market for mobile game downloads, accounting for 15% of the world’s total.
25. Wordle (Lion Studios) was the most popular game in the United States during the first quarter of 2022, after 8.7 million downloads.
In terms of revenue by mobile game genre, RPGs led in 2021 with over $24 billion, followed by Strategy and Puzzle. Strategy sales increased by $2 billion compared to 2020, while RPG sales increased by $1.2 billion.
Esports Gaming Statistics
While competitions have long been a part of the video gaming industry, it wasn’t until recently that esports gained traction as a professional form of competitive gaming. Video game developers often organize popular esports tournaments, and certain celebrities have also contributed to their popularity.
Dota 2, League of Legends, Counter-Strike, Valorant, Overwatch, Street Fighter, FIFA, and StarCraft are among the games featured in these global events frequently streamed on Twitch and Youtube.
26. By the end of 2022, esports will produce roughly USD 1.38 billion in revenue globally.
It should also be noted that China accounts for approximately one third of the global esports industry income.
27. The worldwide esports audience will reach 532 million by the end of 2022, up 8.7% year on year. Esports fans (those who watch esports more than once a month) will account for a little more than 261 million.
It’s estimated that in 2025, the number of esports fans will increase to 318 million, with a total audience of 640 million across the world.
28. TSM, which predominantly plays League of Legends and Valorant, is the most valuable esports team, whose worth is estimated at USD 540 million in 2022.
TSM is followed by 100 Thieves, a Los Angeles-based company with an estimated value of $460 million, and Team Liquid, a Dutch company founded in 2000 with an estimated value of $440 million.
The penetration rate of esports in European countries is highest in Poland (52%), Spain (49%), and Italy (48%), with almost one third of consumers watching esports regularly. Furthermore, the esports gaming industry is also popular in Scandinavia, France, the United Kingdom, and Germany.
30. Dota 2 had the highest tournament prize pool in 2021, amounting to USD 47.73 million.
The total prize was more than double that of the runner-up, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Multiplayer online battle arenas, first-person shooters, battle royale, fighting, and real-time strategy are the most common types of video games in esports competitions.
On a Final Note
Since their invention and humble beginnings, video games have taken over the world, as illustrated by gaming industry stats. They have become cultural and societal cornerstones, influencing how we interact with technology with the advent of VR and AR, as well as AI innovations.
We recently experienced how unforeseen circumstances can transform an industry, for better or worse, after the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020. However, new gaming trends are still emerging, and we have yet to see where the future of gaming will take us.
How old is the average gamer?
The average age of an American gamer in 2022 is 33, according to the Entertainment Software Association. As per Statista, the average age of a gamer in Canada is 34.
What was the first game ever?
Many people believe that the iconic 1970s game Pong was the first game ever created. However, it was actually a simple tennis game called Tennis for Two, invented in 1958 by American physicist William Higinbotham.
What country has the most gamers?
China has the most gamers, more than 685 million, according to Newzoo. The United States is right behind, with over 191 million players.
How many hours does the average gamer play a week?
As per Statista’s 2021 gaming stats, the global average for gaming per week is 8.45 hours.
Is gaming good for mental health?
Playing video games can be an excellent way to improve your mental wellbeing and stimulate the brain. The advantages of video gaming include developing problem-solving skills and promoting social interaction through online gaming.