Due to the pandemic, we were all stuck at home quite a bit over the past couple of years. Because of this, many people started growing their own food, and some even found solace in gardening!
Below, we’ll share the latest garden industry statistics in order to explain what’s happening in this “growing” industry. Not only that, but we’ll also analyze the Canadian market to see how it’s performing.
Continue reading to find out what we were able to dig up!
Top 10 Gardening Statistics for 2022
- The global gardening and landscaping services market will grow by around $100 billion.
- Talking to your plants can help them grow.
- Climate-change gardening was one of the top garden trends of 2019.
- The market size of the Canadian nursery and gardening stores industry is $6.3 billion.
- In 2020, over $880 million worth of potted plants were sold in Canada.
- Americans spent about $134 billion on lawn care in 2020.
- Canadian vegetable horticulture product sales reached $1.83 billion in 2020.
- Over 50% of Canadians were growing food at home in 2020.
- Canadian women are likely to be more interested in gardening than men.
- 67% of new Candian gardeners started because of the pandemic.
General Gardening Industry Statistics
This industry is indeed growing. However, before jumping right into the Canadian gardening facts and stats, we’ll discuss a few general worldwide statistics. Let’s dive in!
1. The global gardening and landscaping services market will grow by around $100 billion from 2021 to 2025.
Moreover, according to the latest predictions in gardening trends, the industry will expand at a CGAR of nearly 6% during the forecasted period.
While it’s likely that some sectors experienced decreased demand due to the pandemic, many others will remain unaffected and even have further growth opportunities.
2. Americans spent about $134 billion on lawn care in 2020.
(The Philidelphia Inquirer)
Moreover, there is an estimated 40 – 50 million acres of lawn in the US. Unfortunately, this love of aesthetically pleasing grass comes at an environmental cost, as it takes three trillion gallons of water and 59 million pounds of pesticides a year to maintain.
3. The global gardening equipment market is expected to reach $130 billion by 2025.
(Grand View Research)
According to a report by Grand View Research regarding the home gardening market size, the key factor of this projected growth is the advent of technologically advanced gardening equipment such as battery-powered tools and robotic lawnmowers.
4. Climate-change gardening was one of the top garden trends in 2019.
One of the hottest UK trends of 2019 was to create eco-friendly gardens that could withstand extreme weather conditions. Other popular outdoor garden trends included perennial meadows, hideaways for grown-ups, architectural and sculptural plants.
Gardening Industry Statistics in Canada
Now that we’ve taken a quick look at what’s happening in the global market, we’ll dive a little deeper into what’s happening in Canada. Continue reading to discover the market value, consumer spending stats, and what’s in store for this “blooming” industry.
5. The Canadian nursery and gardening store market size is $6.3 billion.
Furthermore, the size of this market is expected to increase with a CAGR of 3.8% this year. This is good news as the Canadian nursery and gardening store industry has been in decline (about 0.8%) since 2017.
6. In 2020, over $880 million worth of potted plants were sold in Canada.
Furthermore, indoor gardening statistics reveal this figure represented an almost $100 million increase from 2017 (around $789.68 million). According to data compiled between 2010 and 2020, potted plant sales in Canada were the lowest in 2012 (around $653 million).
7. Gardening statistics from 2019 revealed that plant sales in Canada grew by 8% from 2013 to 2018.
Plant sales are growing year by year, based on findings. In the United States, houseplant sales have increased by up to 50% in the last couple of years to over $2 billion.
Although gardening industry statistics in Canada do not provide information on garden plant sales versus houseplant sales, experts revealed that total plant sales grew to about $1.9 billion from 2013 to 2018.
8. According to gardening statistics, Canadian vegetable and fruit horticulture product sales reached $1.83 billion in 2020.
Moreover, according to urban gardening statistics, most of these sales came from mass-market chain stores, followed by domestic wholesalers. In fact, the increased number of locations of the US retailer Home Depot (182 stores across Canada) may have helped boost the sales.
9. Over 50% of Canadians grew food at home in 2020.
According to the home gardening statistics of a Dalhousie University Agri-Food Analytics Lab report, 51% of Canadians grew a minimum of one type of vegetable or fruit at home.
Of this rising number of amateur farmers, vegetable gardening trends reveal that 17.4% ventured into growing their own food during the onset of the pandemic.
10. According to garden industry statistics, 67% of new gardeners were influenced to start because of the pandemic.
As expected, the Pandemic and subsequent lockdowns affected many people’s decisions about growing their food at home. For instance, of the 1,000 respondents that were part of this survey, 56.2% were at least somewhat worried about food shortages in connection with COVID-19.
11. Canadian women are more likely to be interested in gardening (68%) than men (57%).
(Vancouver Is Awesome)
These 2021 stats regarding gardening demographics also showed that the age group that gardens at home the most were 55 and older (68%), while 63% of 18 to 34-year-olds and 57% of those aged 35 to 54 partook in home gardening.
12. The total revenue of the landscaping services industry in Canada is $13.8 billion.
This figure comes from 2022 lawn and garden industry statistics, which also predict that this market will continue to grow at a CAGR of 3.8% for the rest of this year. What’s more, the Canadian landscaping service industry has increased 5% per year since 2017.
Fun Facts About Gardening
These fun facts about the world of gardening will leave you with a smile on your face or perhaps even a sense of wonder.
13. Talking to your plants can help them grow.
This idea has been around for a long time and is often thought to be an old wives’ tale. However, studies have shown that sound vibrations like music or your voice can affect plant growth.
If you’re a fan of the show MythBusters, you may already know that they also conducted a study on this theory. Namely, they found that the plants that “listened” to a voice soundtrack grew more than plants in a silent greenhouse.
14. According to fun gardening facts, the stinkiest flower in the world is the”corpse flower.”
Not only will the pungent scent of the corpse flower (Amorphophallus titanum) remind you of rotting meat, but it will also shock you with its appearance — it can grow up to 15 feet tall! Plus, this flower is also the largest unbranched flower on the planet.
15. Gardeners can alter the colour of hydrangea flowers by changing the soil’s pH level.
In fact, gardening trivia and fun facts indicate that high-alkaline soil will yield a pinker hydrangea, while a high-acid soil will turn it blue. If you want to make your plant blue, just add coffee grounds or eggshells to the soil. However, it will take time for the change to occur.
Overall, the gardening industry statistics above show that many people took up gardening during the pandemic due to food shortage concerns and to find peace of mind. Plus, business is booming in Canada and will likely continue to grow.
Do you have a garden of your own? If so, how has it shaped your life? Let us know by leaving a comment below, and who knows, maybe you’ll inspire other readers to start gardening as well.
What are professional gardeners called?
A professional who grows vegetables is a farmer. However, experts who design and take care of a flower garden are gardeners. Moreover, gardeners are also people who take up gardening as a hobby.
How much do plant nursery owners make?
The profit of plant nursery owners depends on the location and the size of the business. In most cases, profitable nurseries can generate a yearly cash flow of between $50,000 — $794,000.
In Canada, the average salary for a plant nursery is $57,349 per year. More precisely, nursery managers make an average of $58,000 per year, while retail store assistant managers average $53,000.
How popular is gardening?
Gardening is incredibly popular. According to a 2018 survey from the US, more households in America are taking up gardening (77%).
In Canada, many seed companies and garden centres have reported massive spikes in demand during COVID-19. In fact, in 2020, gardening industry statistics revealed that orders from vendors have grown by around 450% compared to 2019.
(Globe Newswire, CBC)