A good night’s sleep on a comfortable mattress can be considered a luxury. But it’s actually more of a necessity as the act of sleeping is what we all need to recharge our minds and bodies, maintain our health, and function properly throughout the day.
In the wake of the pandemic, with many people stuck at home, mattress sales have drastically increased. Below we’ll take a look at some global and many Canada-centric mattress industry statistics to find out exactly what’s going on in this now-booming industry.
Top Mattress Industry Statistics for 2021
- By 2025, the international mattress industry may reach $54 billion.
- In 2018, just 38% of retailers in the US sold mattresses over the internet.
- The mattress industry in Canada is likely to generate a revenue of over $2 billion.
- In 2019, the Canadian mattress and accessories market will likely reach $3 billion.
- Innerspring mattresses could become the largest share of Canada’s mattress market by 2024.
- Mattress industry statistics in Canada from 2020 revealed that Sleep Country Canada had its most successful year.
- In April 2019, retail store sales of foundations and mattresses in Canada totalled around $100.46 million.
- There were 138 businesses in the mattress manufacturing industry in 2020.
- The sales of mattresses in Canada are expected to increase by 3.9% yearly.
- Stats reveal that 95% is the recovery rate of recycled materials derived from beds.
Global Mattress Industry Statistics
To better understand the Canadian mattress industry, we first need to learn a little about what’s going on worldwide. In the following section, we’ll get you up to speed with some of the leading brands, countries, and business trends.
1. Serta accounted for 20% of the US mattress market in 2018.
That year, Serta dominated the mattress industry market share in the US. In 2017, it also ranked as the number one bedding manufacturer in the US with the most revenue. Furthermore, according to facts on the mattress market share by brand, the leading players in the industry include Tempur-Sealy, King Koil, and Paramount Bed Holdings Co.
2. By 2025, the international mattress industry may reach $54 billion.
(Latest Industry Trends & News) (Statista)
Based on global mattress statistics derived from a Grand View Research report, the market size is forecasted to develop at a 6.7% CAGR from 2019 to 2025.
Over this forecast period, the international mattress market will experience substantial demand from the real estate and hospitality sectors. Based on global mattress sales industry trends, this growth will likely be the strongest in China, Brazil, and India.
By comparison, the Canadian market projects a compound annual growth rate of 2.51% between 2021 and 2025.
3. China and Poland were the leading exporters of mattresses in 2019, grossing $11.4 billion and $1.65 billion, respectively.
As for imports, the United States and Japan took the lead that same year, grossing $5.9 billion and $1.7 billion, respectively. Furthermore, the same year, the US, Japan, France, and Canada displayed the highest trade value in imports than exports.
Additionally, mattress industry statistics showed that Canada grossed $658 million that year.
4. In 2018, only 38% of retailers in the US sold mattresses over the internet.
(Statista) (View the Vibe)
Interestingly, according to mattress statistics, one of the most crucial factors of Canada’s rising mattress sales is e-commerce. Although many still believe that it’s risky to purchase a mattress online, it’s become a convenient and safe way to shop during COVID-19.
In fact, in 2020, global online sales of furniture were anticipated to reach a staggering $366 billion.
Mattress Industry Statistics From Canada
Here are some Canadian mattress industry stats that you need to know for 2021. You will have a chance to read about the latest mattress industry research, the newest trends, and what the figures show regarding online sales.
5. According to the mattress industry forecast, Canada will likely generate $2 billion in revenue in 2021.
Moreover, the country’s market projects a compound annual growth rate of 2.51% from 2021 to 2025. As for revenue per person, the stats reveal this figure will be around $52.89 this year. By comparison, the US will generate the highest revenue for this industry with over $17 billion.
6. In 2019, Canada’s mattress and accessories market was expected to reach $3 billion.
(PS Market Research)
The market for accessories and mattresses also anticipated a total revenue of over $3.25 billion by 2024. Furthermore, a mattress sales report from 2019 uncovered the market would likely develop at a CAGR of 1.7% during the forecasted period of 2019 to 2024.
(Research and Markets)
But why is that? According to mattress industry trends, leading mattress manufacturers such as Tempur Sealy International and Serta Simmons Bedding LLC have invested in creating hybrid innerspring beds. These beds will likely have attractive features such as temperature and moisture control and high adjustability.
8. The Central Canadian region is the largest mattress and accessories market in the country.
(PS Market Research)
With a forecasted market size of nearly $2 billion and a CAGR of 1.8% from 2019 to 2024, Central Canada takes the lead as the country’s largest market for accessories and mattresses. Prairie follows, with a projected mattress forecast market size of $864.6 million and a 2.1% CAGR by 2024.
9. In April 2019, retail store sales of foundations and mattresses in Canada totalled around $100.46 million.
These monthly mattress sales statistics derived from a survey between January 2014 and April 2019 show that in April 2018, the retail store sales of mattresses in the country amounted to around $88.3 million — a stark decline from 2017 ($93.81 million).
However, according to this data, monthly mattress and foundation sales in Canada were the highest in August 2018, when this figure totalled $115.43 million in total sales.
10. In 2020, Sleep Country Canada had its most successful year.
The Canadian specialty sleep retailer had its best year in more than 25 years of business, earning $248.9 million in total revenue, a 33.4% increase from 2019. The company’s hefty boost in earnings due to its savvy online business model helped them to thrive during the challenging year of COVID-19 and lockdowns.
11. Mattress industry statistics Canada revealed there were 138 businesses in the mattress manufacturing industry in 2020.
Not only that, but these businesses employed a total of 2,489 workers. Last year, Tempur Sealy International Inc. and AOT Bedding Super Holdings were the two companies that held the most significant market share in the Canadian mattress manufacturing industry.
12. Mattress sales in Canada are expected to increase by 3.9% yearly.
(View the Vibe)
According to the mattress sales statistics, the revenue of Canada’s industry is likely to stagnate at about $1 billion. That being said, consumers can expect innovative mattress technologies on top of already popular ones like hybrid innerspring and innerspring mattresses.
13. According to Canadian mattress recycling statistics, the recovery rate of recycled bed materials is over 95%.
(Green Health Care) (Canadian Mattress Recycling Inc.)
In 2011, the city of Vancouver banned mattresses and box springs from being dumped in landfills. In that year alone, they saved over 1 million cubic feet of landfill space and created 45 new jobs.
Since the beginning of this initiative, Canadian Mattress Recycling Inc. has now recycled over 42.3 million pounds of mattresses and furniture!
Fun Mattress Facts and Stats
Hopefully, these intriguing and amusing facts about mattresses will leave you smiling. Plus, find out which Canadian celebrity gets their rest on a nearly half a million-dollar bed below.
14. The Floating Bed, worth US$1.6 million, is the world’s most expensive bed, according to trends in the mattress industry.
(Money Inc) (Dornob)
This fun mattress fact will be a hit with all of our sci-fi fans out there!
The world’s most expensive bed, created by Janjaap Ruijssenaars, a Dutch architect, is a true feat of modern engineering. This pricey mattress gives you the feeling that you’re literally drifting off to sleep as it hovers about 16 inches off the ground using an advanced magnet system.
15. In Washington, US, it’s against the law to buy a mattress on Sundays.
What you have just read might be one of the weirdest facts about people buying a mattress. Funny enough, there is no apparent reason why buying a mattress on Sundays has been made illegal. Lucky for our Canadian readers, there are no such laws in the country.
16. Canadian rapper Drake sleeps on a $493,000 mattress.
The Mattress, created by the Swedish brand Hästens, is made with natural materials like cotton, wool, and horsehair and built to last for 50 to 100 years! The company will even send a crew to the customer’s residence to massage and flip the mattress three to five times a year at no extra cost!
So, there you have it, folks, the most essential mattress industry statistics from a Canadian point of view. Based on the figures in this article, we can see that the country’s industry is growing, and the demand for luxurious, high-quality beds is high.
Which stat or fact did you like the most? What do you search for when picking the right bed? Let us know in the comment section below. Please share this article with fellow sleep enthusiasts to help motivate us to create more exciting content for you!
How many mattresses are sold each year?
Amazingly, in the United States alone, an estimated $45 million worth of mattresses are sold each year, equating to around 690,000 beds sold a week. As for Canada, the mattress sales in April of 2019 hit approximately $100.46 million!
(Wonder) (View the Vibe)
What time of year are the best mattress sales?
According to experts, the best time to buy a mattress is during early spring or late winter because big retailers and merchants offer plenty of discounts to make space for their latest inventory.
Another excellent tip is shopping for a mattress during holiday weekends such as Veterans Day, Labor Day, Presidents Day, or Black Friday.
Moreover, there are always some fantastic sales when shopping online. If you’re confident in the statistics of buying a mattress online, we recommend checking out the eCommerce market leader in Canada, Amazon.ca.
How big is the mattress industry?
The international mattress market is forecasted to grow from approximately $37.5 billion to more than $53 billion by 2024.
What about Canada? Mattress industry statistics indicate that the Canadian mattress and accessories market will generate over $2.6 billion by 2024.
(Statista) (PS Market Research)